motherhood, the loneliest season

Feb 23, 2017

it has been 952 days since the gray cloud has made its way into my life, my heart--952 days since i took a positive pregnancy test and slowly began the sink into isolation.

my mother told me it would happen. it happened to her, she said, and it's happened to others--many others.

one would think after a few years this would go away, the clouds would lift, evaporate. but that's not the case, not even close.

this week my feelings have been much like the weather: snowing one moment, sunny and in the seventies the next--very confused, very bipolar.


as david walked through the door a few nights ago, i burst into tears. as a human, as a mother, i was defeated. i couldn't bring myself to make dinner, to clean up, to function really at all...so i drew a bath and he brewed me some tea. i locked myself in the bathroom and cried as i lowered myself into the hottest waters to sweat out my feelings.

we've finally settled into community here, where i feel that friendships are actually developing. but that cloud, it's still there, it's still hovering.

i long for a kindred spirit--an anne of green gables bosom friend, if you will--one that is here in this season  right along with me, trudging through the thick of it. i've sought solace through instagram and it has helped immensely, connecting with other mamas all across the country and yet, i see others developing deeper friendships through the platform and cannot help but feel heartbreak as i am yearning for that too, praying that god would send me someone who treasures me as much as i them.

being home with hadley all day every day and knowing that soon it will be me with two littles, all alone...it scares me. do not get me wrong: motherhood is the most fulfilling, life-giving, best thing that has happened to me. it just so happens that it is also the hardest, most lonely time of my life.

i want to be checked up on, to be pursued, to have someone come over and hug me and bring me coffee or even write me a letter from the other side of the country that says "it's okay, you're okay, everything is going to be okay, i'm right there with you."

and you know what's worse? so much of me doesn't want to actually admit that this is happening, that this cloud exists, that this is where i am. i'm afraid that by admitting it, that by stepping out and speaking out, i will be pushed away, ignored and made a fool.

but here i am, in hopes that maybe you reading this are feeling this way too. that maybe, just maybe we can start being more honest and open and say "you're struggling? i'm struggling, too" and even more of a maybe--that my honesty will continue to break down walls and barriers (within both me and others) and bring me into friendships deeper than i could ever imagine.

until then, know this: if this is you, if you feel this way, too, i'm here for you.

and although it may not feel this way: you are not alone.


4 comments

  1. I'm here too. Thinking of the same exact thing. Wishing, hoping that soon I can have mama friends I can be there for as well. Not many though want to endure a moment a season of listening about that dark cloud. Sometimes that's where we are for a moment In Life, and most often than not that not where other mamas want to be there for. I'm new to WA, 2 years new and I have not met other honest mamas, raw friendships. If you do read this, it hurts to be alone. It hurts because maybe I'm too raw, maybe I'm too honest. But I hope to find friends who aren't afraid of just that. My husband is my amazing friend who listens without reproach, he truly is amazing. But I need mama friends soon. So, I'm here too. I hope you can reach out to me and vise versa, because weathering through the storm for how ever long is a little better with someone else there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard isn't it? Not wanting to be the downer friend all of the time, ohhhh i have been there. but you just really really need someone to listen. Keep being raw, keep being honest. that's exactly how i am as well and i truly believe it's a beautiful thing to be capable of being open. Not everyone has that emotional openness and i think it can be such a blessing... it can feel like a curse especially when we are in these seasons, but i'm praying, trusting, hoping that it's not and that it will pay off! you are loved mama! feel free to connect with me via fb or ig :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for giving voice to what we all go through at different times. Wishing we lived close enough to do coffee! �� If you'd like, send me your address. I have a post card I'd love to send you. (Also, would probably be best to send the address via FB or IG message, I don't think I get notified when you reply to these comments).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that as well Kaci!! UGH! I will message you on facebook <3

      Delete

© the landrus diaries. Design by FCD.